Wednesday, December 13 2017

VietNamNews

Tien Giang bans controversial five-in-one Quinvaxem vaccine

Update: October, 28/2013 - 09:00

The Tien Giang Health Department suspended the use of the five-in-one Quinvaxem vaccine in Cai Lay District on Saturday.— Photo dantri

HA NOI (VNS) — The Tien Giang Health Department suspended the use of the five-in-one Quinvaxem vaccine in Cai Lay District on Saturday.

The decision came after 32 children were hospitalised with fevers and hives following vaccinations. They are now monitored by parents and healthcare staff.

"The use of Quinvaxem had been suspended in Cai Lay District, but it was still being administered in other parts of the province," said the province's health department director Tran Thanh Thao.

"Thousands of Quinvaxem shots have been administered in recent days, but parents should not be worried because only 5 per cent of children have an adverse reaction," said Thao.

The health ministry's Preventive Medicine Department visited the province yesterday to investigate the incident.

The use of Quinvaxem resumed as part of the National Expanded Programme for Immunisation in October.

The Korean manufactured vaccine was suspended early in May following the death of nine children.

The vaccine was confirmed safe by the World Health Organisation following tests conducted by an independent laboratory in the United Kingdom in June. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: