Tuesday, October 24 2017

VietNamNews

School meals under inspection after spate of food poisoning

Update: October, 10/2013 - 10:04
The Health Ministry has told provinces and cities to check food safety and hygiene at schools to prevent food poisoning.—File Photo

HA NOI (VNS)— The Health Ministry has told provinces and cities to check food safety and hygiene at schools to prevent food poisoning.

The warning follows an outbreak of food poisoning at schools after children returned from the summer holidays.

Recently, 10 students in northern Dien Bien Province became sick after eating toxic fruit. Then, 47 students in northern Ha Giang Province's Xin Man District were taken to hospital with food poisoning after eating a school meal containing pork.

On Tuesday, provincial authorities in Ha Giang announced that food samples taken after the meal were infected with Staphylococcus aureus, which can lead to food poisoning.

Doctors at the provincial Food Safety and Hygience Department said that the pork served at Coc Pai Elementary School and at a boarding school in Ta Nhiu Commune in the district had not been properly prepared.

The water supply at both schools was found to have a coliform content higher than that allowed.

The ministry also called for more inspections of school kitchens, canteens, food manufacturers and traders surrounding educational establishments. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: