Saturday, December 16 2017

VietNamNews

Truck group wants deadline extension for correct badges

Update: October, 03/2013 - 09:30
The HCM City Cargo Transport Association has asked municipal authorities to temporarily suspend fines for container trucks that do not display the correct badges.— Photo thanhnien

HCM CITY (VNS)— The HCM City Cargo Transport Association has asked municipal authorities to temporarily suspend fines for container trucks that do not display the correct badges.

Under the transport ministry's new regulation, container trucks nationwide will only be allowed to operate if they are granted badges by authorised agencies from Tuesday.

Transport departments across the country have been entrusted to grant badges and business licenses to transport businesses that meet the new requirements, such as registration books, traffic safety standards, insurance and black boxes.

The regulation is aimed at better management of licensed transport businesses.

However, the association's secretary general, Thai Van Chung, said there was not enough time for businesses to meet the requirements before the deadline.

The regulation was issued in August and took effect two months later, he said.

The municipal transport department held a week-long course for transport businesses on the new regulation, but it did not explain all the details to them, Chung added.

The department should not punish container trucks without badges for the next two months before drivers were informed of the new regulations and staff had processed applications for thousands of container trucks, he said.

The association itself has more than 6,000 container trucks, and at present, only 10 per cent of them have badges. It would therefore take time to grant badges for the remaining 90 per cent.

Director of the Minh Lien transport company Do Xuan Phu told the Ha Noi Moi (New Ha Noi) newspaper that authorities were in a hurry to start punishing container trucks without badges from October 1.

Transport businesses were informed of the new regulation last week, so it was impossible to grant badges for thousands of container trucks in just a few days, he said.

Duong Hong Thanh, deputy director of the municipal transport department, said that for the first few days, the department would issue warnings without handing out fines.

Warnings would be given to drivers until the end of this month and fines would be applied for violations from next month, he said.

The department had granted 280 badges to 20 transport businesses and delivered nearly 10,000 leaflets on the new regulations for drivers, he added.

Chairman of the Viet Nam Automobile Association Nguyen Van Thanh also asked the transport ministry to extend the deadline to help transport businesses complete the necessary procedures.

Recent inspections by the transport ministry in HCM City, Hai Phong, Ba Ria-Vung Tau and Quang Ninh found that nearly 90 per cent of transport businesses were operating without a license. — VNS


Send Us Your Comments:

See also: