Tuesday, March 28 2017

VietNamNews

AO programmes to receive continued funding from US

Update: April, 22/2013 - 10:28

WASHINGTON (VNS)— The US has pledged to maintain funding for Agent Orange/dioxin treatment programmes in Viet Nam this year.

In 2012, the US provided US$44 million to treat AO-contaminated areas in central Da Nang.

According to Ha Huy Thong, deputy head of the National Assembly's Committee for External Relations, the US had continued to display its support for Viet Nam in overcoming AO/dioxin.

Thong is also the chairman of the Viet Nam-US Dialogue Group on AO/dioxin.

He said US representatives showed their positive attitude towards the programmes to deal with the toxic chemicals used by their army during the war in Viet Nam. They admitted that this was a complicated and time-consuming issue that needed efforts from both sides.

The US has pledged to maintain funding for Agent Orange/dioxin treatment programmes in Viet Nam this year. Illustrative image/Photo petrotime

AO hot spots in Viet Nam's southern city of Bien Hoa have also been scheduled for the treatment programme.

Viet Nam has provided the US with new statistical data on 29 AO hot spots across the country.

The Aspen Institute, a partner of the Viet Nam-US Dialogue Group on AO/Dioxin, estimates that Viet Nam needs around $410 million to deal with the consequences of the toxic dioxin in the 2012–17 period.

From 1961-71, US troops sprayed more than 80 million litres of toxin over a quarter of southern Viet Nam.

As a result, around 3.5–4 million Vietnamese people were exposed to AO/dioxin.

On April 18, Thong said his group met with US congressmen and representatives from the US Agency for International Development (USAID) as well as UN representatives and organisations helping to rid the country of AO.

Earlier on April 16, the Viet Nam-US Dialogue Group on Agent Orange/Dioxin organised the first round-table conference on AO/dioxin in Washington DC since it was founded in 2007. — VNS



Send Us Your Comments:

See also: