Boy, 6, dies from 'brain-eating amoeba'
HCM CITY – (VNS) A 6-year-old boy in HCM City's Binh Thanh District has died from a brain eating amoeba virus (Naegleria fowleri), Director of Preventative Health Deparment Nguyen Van Binh affirmed today.
Binh said that a disease sample tested positive for the virus.
This is the second case of a person being infected by the virus. The first patient, a 25-year-old male from the southern province of Phu Yen, died from contracting the virus after swimming in a lake near his house. He was taken to HCM City Tropical Hospital and died on July 31.
According to experts, Naegleria fowleri is a free-living excavate form of protist typically found in warm bodies of fresh water, such as ponds, lakes, rivers, and hot springs. But its capacity to cause disease in humans is rare. It invades the brain through the nostrils.
The Ministry of Health has warned people not to swim in lakes and rivers and limit water flow into their noses. – VNS