Man, 51, dies from swine infection
HA NOI (VNS)— A 51-year-old man, of Ha Noi's Tay Ho District, has died from septic shock after being infected with Streptococcus suis in Ha Noi, experts have confirmed.
The victim died on September 9 after two days of treatment at the Ha Noi-based National Hospital of Tropical Diseases.
During this time the deceased, whose relatives say had recently eaten raw pig's blood soup, had been in a coma and was haemorrhaging under his skin.
Streptococcus suis is a gram-positive coccus that can cause pneumonia, meningitis, septicaemia, and arthritis in pigs. It can transmit to humans through close or direct contact with infected pigs and pork products. — VNS