HA NOI — The Ministry of Transport had followed correct legal proceedings when it transferred former chairman of Vinalines Container Shipping Company, Duong Chi Dung, to be head of the Viet Nam Maritime Administration, even though he and other company executives were later found to have violated the laws on bidding and investment, causing major losses to State coffers.
Deputy Minister Nguyen Hong Truong said this at the ministry's monthly press meeting on Thursday.
The reshuffle, as Truong said, was aimed at solving disunity among the company's leadership at that time.
The ministry was unaware of Dung's illegal activities and the reshuffle was based purely on a business decision, Truong said.
Last September, the Government Inspectorate announced it would be looking into activities at Vinalines as part of its annual inspections. The results were publicised last month.
Responding to public concern over Dung's appointed to the new position while his company was being inspected by the Government Inspectorate, Transport Deputy Minister Le Manh Hung said that during the process of reshuffle and inspection, the ministry did not receive any information or complaints about the candidate.
"If we had any warning about Dung's violations from investigation bodies, we would have considered the reshuffle more carefully," Hung said.
Also on Thursday, Ministry of Home Affairs, responsible for Governmental bodies and key State-run groups, had a meeting with the mass media on the same issue.
Deputy Minister Tran Tuan Anh said that his ministry had reviewed and found nothing wrong with the legal proccedings when the Transport Minister appointed Dung.
"The Ministry of Home Affairs is only involved in Dung's resignation from Vinalines," Anh said, adding that the two ministries were working together to report to the Prime Minister.
An indictment and arrest warrant were issued for Dung on May 18, and a nationwide manhunt has begun, but so far, authorities have failed to locate him. — VNS