Monday, November 20 2017

VietNamNews

Foreign Ministry condemns murder of Vietnamese citizens

Update: July, 07/2017 - 23:00
Deputy Foreign Minister Vũ Hồng Nam
Viet Nam News

HÀ NỘI The Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs strongly condemns the murder of two Vietnamese citizens by the terrorist group Abu Sayyaf, Deputy Minister Vũ Hồng Nam stated in his interview granted to the press. 

According to the deputy minister, after being informed of the murder of the two victims suspected to be Vietnamese on the night of July 4 in Banrangay Tumahubong Sumisip village of the Philippines, the ministry summoned a chargé d’affaires of the Philippine Embassy in Hà Nội on Wednesday. 

At the same time, the Vietnamese Embassy in the Philippines contacted the host country’s agencies to ask for co-ordination to preserve the bodies and identify the victims, Nam said. 

The two victims were confirmed to be Hoàng Trung Thông and Hoàng Văn Hải – two Vietnamese sailors of the ship Royal 16 who had been kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf in November 2016, he told reporters. 

Immediately after the confirmation, Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc expressed his upset and anger at the barbaric and inhumane murder, and demanded severe punishment for the terrorists who killed the Vietnamese citizens while calling on the international community to join hands to fight terrorism. 

The PM and the Foreign Ministry have extended their condolences to the families of the victims. 

Deputy Minister Vũ Hồng Nam said the ministry would help the families in holding funeral rites for the victims.

Even though the Zamboanga region is under curfew, representatives of the Vietnamese Embassy have arrived at the local hospital where the victims’ bodies are kept and are working with Philippine agencies to complete legal procedures to bring the victims’ bodies back to Việt Nam.  

The Foreign Ministry would continue requesting Philippines’ agencies to ensure safety for Vietnamese citizens, Deputy Minister Nam said, noting that the Philippine side had done its best to fulfill Việt Nam’s requests. 

On June 22, Hoàng Võ, one among of the Royal 16 sailors kidnapped by the terrorist group in November 2016, was rescued and returned home.

The official also asked ship owners and companies which have ships operating in seas at risk of pirate attacks to follow preventive measures and the latest advice of domestic and international agencies.  VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: