Saturday, November 18 2017

VietNamNews

Party, State determined to stay the course in corruption fight

Update: December, 07/2016 - 09:00
Party General Secretary Nguyễn Phú Trọng meets with voters in Hà Nội’s Đông Anh District yesterday. — VNA/VNS Photo Trí Dũng
Viet Nam News

HÀ NỘI — Party General Secretary Nguyễn Phú Trọng told voters in the capital’s Đông Anh and Long Biên Districts yesterday that the fight against corruption and wastefulness was a hard and long-term task.

However, the Party and State would stay the course, he said.

“We will resolutely fight against corruption and wastefulness with many measures, including laws, policies, public supervision, media coverage and discipline within the Party,” he said.

On the cases involving Trịnh Xuân Thanh, former Vice Chairman of the Hậu Giang provincial People’s Committee, and former Minister of Industry and Trade Vũ Huy Hoàng, he said the disciplinary measures taken were only those imposed by the Party. Investigations into other aspects of the cases were underway, he added.

He said proper regulations were need to punish similar violators.

Responding to voters’ concerns about the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), Trọng said Việt Nam was only one of the members and its future depended on common agreement among all participating countries.

He told voters questioning amendments and adjustments being made to laws soon after they were issued that the number of full-time National Assembly deputies accounted for just over 30 per cent. The remaining 70 per cent were part-time deputies who lacked experience, knowledge and capacity in formulating effective laws. As a result, some laws needed adjustments or amendments shortly after being issued. If this was not done, they would prove dangerous after taking effect, he said.

 Trọng said efforts to complete the legal system were aimed at building a law-governed State, and promoting socio-economic development and international integration. "However, apart from issuing laws, it is also essential that they are enforced effectively," he said.

At the meeting, voters also raised concerns about other issues including the impacts of climate change, food safety and hygiene, job generation, poverty reduction and shortcomings in land management.

They urged effective implementation of Resolution No 4 on Party Building, improved education and training quality and increased focus on preserving and promoting cultural and historical relics.

They also suggested special mechanisms for industrial zones to ensure good living conditions for workers. They wanted greater support for domestic businesses in production and trade and protection of the legitimate rights and interests of consumers.

The voters praised results of the latest NA session, particularly the democratic and frank question and answer sessions that covered a wide range of issues of public concern.

They also praised the effort to build a constructive Government and the Prime Minister’s determination to end the practice of giving presents to senior officials for the Lunar New Year holiday. - VNS

 

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: