HÀ NỘI – Viet Nam and the Philippines issued a Joint Statement on the official visit on September 28-29 of President of the Republic of Philippines Rodrigo Roa Duterte to Viet Nam.
The following is the full text of the joint statement.
“ 1. At the invitation of State President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam Tran Dai Quang, the President of the Republic of the Philippines Rodrigo Roa Duterte paid an Official Visit to Vietnam from 28 to 29 September 2016.
2. During the visit, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte paid homage at the Monument of National Heroes and Martyrs, held talks with President Tran Dai Quang; called on General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong; had a meeting with Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc; and attended the State Banquet hosted by President Tran Dai Quang and received the delegation of Vietnam Business Community.
3. President Duterte congratulated President Quang on the latter’s election as State President of Vietnam in April 2016. On the same note, President Quang congratulated President Duterte on the latter’s election as President of the Philippines in May 2016.
4. The two Presidents recalled the spirit of the historical Joint Communiqué signed in 1976 that established diplomatic relations between the two countries. The last 40 years saw the steady progress in the friendship, mutual trust and goodwill leading to deepening cooperation between the two countries at the bilateral and multilateral levels.
5. Both leaders recalled that in November 2015, the Philippines and Vietnam established a Strategic Partnership to elevate the level and intensity of bilateral exchanges between the two countries and to harness advantages for common development and in pursuit of shared strategic interests.
6. On the various aspects of bilateral exchanges, the two Presidents:
a. Agreed to increase the exchange of high-level and other visits as well as people-to-people exchanges, uphold established bilateral cooperation mechanisms, and effectively implement the agreements signed between two countries, especially the 9 th Joint Commission on Bilateral Cooperation at Foreign Minister level to be held in the Philippines in 2017;
b. Agreed to establish a six-year Action Plan (2017-2022) to guide the implementation of activities in the areas of common interest under this new level of relations;
c. Noted the growing trade and investment relations between the two countries, and called on businesses to further increase the volume of two-way trade and investment; to enhance the environment conducive for businesses of both countries to invest in potential areas, including agriculture, food processing, tourism services, infrastructure; to consider the extension of the Memorandum of Agreement on Rice Trade and convene the 2nd Joint Commission on Trade;
d. Acknowledged the value of the existing defense cooperation mechanism such as the Policy Dialogue between the two Defense Ministry/Department at Deputy Minister level and called on their defense officials to identify new avenues to deepen and intensify cooperation in line with the vision of the Strategic Partnership;
e. Agreed to strengthen existing maritime cooperation mechanisms such as the hotline communication mechanism between coast guard authorities of both countries, as well as to adopt other measures to ensure the safety and security of fishermen from both countries as well as to solve amicably the unexpected incidents at sea;
f. Agreed to explore ways to intensify law enforcement cooperation against transnational crime, including the illicit trade and trafficking of drugs in the region, and called on concerned officials to build on each other’s expertise and experience, specifically through more intelligence exchange activities;
g. Called for expedited negotiations for bilateral agreements on extradition, mutual legal assistance in criminal issues and transfer of sentenced persons to further enhance cooperation in law enforcement;
h. Called for the establishment of security dialogue between the Ministry of Public Security of Vietnam and the National Security Council of the Philippines as necessary and/or as appropriate;
i. Agreed to effectively implement the cooperation mechanism and commitments to further promote maritime and oceanic cooperation, especially the Joint Commission on Maritime and Oceanic Affairs at Deputy Foreign Minister level and Legal Expert Working Group on Maritime Cooperation;
j. Welcomed the recent adoption of a cultural exchange program between the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and the National Commission on Culture and the Arts; and
k. Agreed to continue cooperation on fisheries as proposed at the Joint Working Group and implement the MOU on Fisheries Cooperation signed in 2010; consider signing of Mutual Recognition Agreement on quality control and management and safety of agricultural and fishery products; and Memorandum of Understanding on Education Cooperation.
7. The leaders reaffirmed their commitment to maintaining and promoting peace, security, stability, safety and freedom of navigation and overflight, as well as unimpeded commerce in the region particularly in the South China Sea. Furthermore, the two leaders called for the peaceful resolution of disputes including full respect for legal and diplomatic processes, self-restraint in the conduct of activities, without resorting to the threat or use of force, in accordance with the universally recognized principles of international law, including the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). The two Presidents also reaffirmed their support for the full and effective implementation of the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea and work expeditiously for the early adoption of a Code of Conduct in the South China Sea as well as their position on the Award by the Tribunal in the South China Sea Arbitration.
8. Both Leaders reaffirmed their commitment to upholding peace, stability, and prosperity in the region, including advancing ASEAN community building efforts through the full and effective implementation of the ASEAN Community Vision 2025. To these ends, both sides reiterated the importance of and emphasized the promotion of the central role of ASEAN in the regional architecture.
9. The two Presidents noted the forthcoming chairmanship roles of their countries within regional bodies in 2017, with each pledging full support for, as well as active participation and collaboration during the Philippines’ chairmanship of ASEAN and Vietnam’s chairmanship of APEC. The two Presidents looked forward to productive exchanges of visits at various official levels during next year’s ASEAN and APEC meetings and summits.
10. President Duterte expressed appreciation to President Quang for the warm welcome and kind hospitality accorded to him and the Philippine delegation and expressed his desire to reciprocate Vietnam’s hospitality during a visit to the Philippines by President Quang at a mutually convenient time.” — VNS