Sunday, December 4 2016

VietNamNews

Nation condemns terror attack at hotel in Burkina Faso capital

Update: January, 18/2016 - 09:45
Vietnamese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Le Hai Binh. — File Photo

HA NOI (VNS) — Viet Nam vehemently condemns recent terrorist attacks, with the latest in Burkina Faso on Friday leaving many dead and injured, said Vietnamese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Le Hai Binh one day after the attack.

"We would like to share our sympathies with the families of the deceased in the assault and believe that the attackers will be punished appropriately," the spokesman said.

The attackers raided a luxury hotel in Burkina Faso on late January 15, shooting some and taking others hostage in a siege that ended with at least 28 people dead.

Binh added that there had been no reports of Vietnamese killed in the attacks. He said his ministry requested the Vietnamese Embassy in Morocco and Burkina Faso to contact local agencies to learn more about the incident and whether Vietnamese nationals have been affected by the assault.

The embassy was also asked to keep close watch on the incident while taking measures to ensure the safety of Vietnamese citizens in the West African nation, he said.

On January 14, seven explosions rang out near Sarinah shopping mall in downtown Jakarta, Indonesia, while a shootout between the attackers and police occurred in front of the mall.

The blasts came after the Islamic State issued a warning of carrying out attacks in Jakarta, national police spokesman Anton Charliyan told press at the scene.

At least seven people were killed and 20 others were injured in the attacks, according to Jakarta police spokesman Muhammad Iqbal. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: