|Foreign Ministry spokesman Le Hai Binh. — VNS Photo An Dang
HA NOI (VNS) — Foreign Ministry spokesman Le Hai Binh has declared, once again, that Viet Nam has sufficient legal and historical evidence to affirm its sovereignty over the Hoang Sa (Paracel) and Truong Sa (Spratly) archipelagos.
His statement was in response to reporters' queries yesterday about how Viet Nam would respond to the Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying's speech on April 9 about the expansion of underground reefs in Truong Sa.
On this issue, Binh said Viet Nam had already conducted a number of interventions into the expansion, including high-level exchanges with China.
Each construction and expansion project by foreigners on reef islands in Hoang Sa and Truong Sa not explicitly permitted by the Government of Viet Nam is illegal and invalid, he stated.
Viet Nam firmly opposes the above actions and asks concerned parties to fully abide by the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the East Sea, and to make practical contributions to maintaining peace and stability in the region, he added.
US, Cuba developments
Binh also spoke yesterday about Viet Nam's stance on the US's removal of Cuba from its list of state sponsors of terrorism.
Binh said that the removal was welcomed and is an important step forward as the two countries normalise their bilateral relations.
On Tuesday, US President Barrack Obama asked Congress to remove Cuba from the terror list. — VNS