Friday, April 20 2018

VietNamNews

Vietnamese staff evacuated from Libya

Update: August, 08/2014 - 08:24
Spokesperson for the Foreign Affairs Ministry Le Hai Binh. — VNA/VNS Photo An Dang

HA NOI  (VNS) — The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday 246 Vietnamese workers had been evacuated out of Libya and more would be assisted to soon leave the country.

Speaking at a press briefing yesterday, spokesperson for the Foreign Affairs Ministry Le Hai Binh said his Ministry, the Labour Ministry and other agencies in Libya, Egypt, Turkey and Algeria had been co-ordinating with companies that send workers to Libya to ensure their safety.

Binh said Viet Nam was also trying to help the Philippines and Thailand bring back workers.

The number of Vietnamese workers in Libya has been about 1,740.

Viet Nam has also asked Turkey, Algeria and Egypt to allow the workers to transit on their way home.

This is the second time Viet Nam has evacuated workers from Libya. More than 10,000 fled in 2011.

Meanwhile, regarding the situation in Donetsk, Binh said the Ministry had been working with Vietnamese agencies in Ukraine to ensure the safety of any Vietnamese.

Binh also announced that US Senator John McCain and Senator Sheldon Whitehouse would begin a three-day official visit to Viet Nam starting today. The visit focuses on further co-operation in security, commerce and discussion on human rights.

Answering media question on the situation in Gaza, Binh said Viet Nam condemned the bombing of the United Nations school in Gaza which killed and injured civilians as well as UN staff.

He said Viet Nam had called on all sides to respect the new cease fire and push for negotiations to achieve security and peace in the region. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: