HA NOI — Viet Nam's Foreign Ministry spokesman Luong Thanh Nghi yesterday reaffirmed the country's sovereignty over the Hoang Sa (Paracel) and Truong Sa (Spratly) archipelagos in response to China's announcement that it would ban fishing in areas of the East Sea this summer.
The decision was issued on January 12 by the Chinese Ministry of Agriculture. Specifically, China will ban fishing in some areas of the East Sea, including several islands belonging to Viet Nam, from May 16 to August 1
In response to questions from the press yesterday, Nghi said Viet Nam had established absolute sovereignty over the Truong Sa and Hoang Sa archipelagos as well as jurisdiction over the exclusive economic zone and the continental shelf, according to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea 1982.
"The fact that China unilaterally implemented this ban clearly violates our country's sovereignty and the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the East Sea and makes the situation here more complex," he said.
Nghi said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had already met with the Chinese side to further oppose this decision. — VNS