Updated
December, 13 2013 11:32:09

Viet Nam is listed as one of the Asian countries which foreign retirees wanted to relocate to so they might enjoy their retirement, according the article "Foreign retirees have flocked to Asian countries", published by China Daily last week.

The article reported, "They are foreign retirees – mainly Australians, Europeans and North Americans fleeing cold winters and the prospect of spending their twilight years in a nursing home."

Pleasant climate, reasonable cost of living, and being in Southeast Asia, which is exotic for active retirees who enjoy exploring, were named as reasons for their moving here.

Are you a retiree? Please send us your thoughts about this trend and your plan for your retirement? Do you plan to come to Viet Nam for a short-term or long-term stay to enjoy your retirement? What are policies that the Vietnamese Government should issue to encourage more foreign retirees to relocate to Viet Nam for their retirement?

Please reply by email to: , or by fax to (84-4) 3 933 2311. Letters can be sent to The Editor, Viet Nam News, 79 Ly Thuong Kiet Street, Ha Noi. Replies to next week's questions must be received by Thursday morning, December 19, 2013. — VNS

COMMENTS
Jon-Alan Manning - rioderica@bellsouth.net   Jon-Alan Manning
January, 02 2014 13:37:28
For the last few years I have split my time between VN and the US. The big negative for me about VN is the air pollution from the motorbike exhaust. I figure that is going to kill me quicker than anything. The cost of living is so low compared to the US, that I actually make money while living here. I love the people, the food and VN is centrally located for easy travel to many other Asian countries.
Jose Goffinet - jose.goffinet@gmail.com   Jose Goffinet
January, 01 2014 15:27:01
Having worked a few years in Vietnam I decided to stay as retired. Repeating James Dannock here above, I must say that the biggest inconvenience is to go abroad each 3 months to renew the obligation of the visa. At the moment I share my time with Belgium but it cost to travel and I don't expend this money in Vietnam and never fly Vietnam Airlines! To encourage retirees to spent time in Vietnam and to expend their money in the country the authorities must introduce the possibility to stay longer periods for retirees.
Jeff TEH - Jefftshk@yahoo.com   Jeff TEH
January, 01 2014 00:42:35
Dear editor I have been working and staying in Bangkok, Thailand for some years. Western people who stayed or so called 'retirees stay' are facing problems in Thailand. And Thai government and immigration have to face social and medical care issues. I am not against Vietnam to open it's door to foreign retirees. But do not want to see 'another Bangkok or PATTAYA' in Vietnam. Rule of law and immigration rules need to improved and friendly to genuine candidates who can really sustain themselves and also their local family in Vietnam.
camenzind - franz@santanol.com   camenzind
December, 22 2013 06:33:58
Vietnam is a beautiful country with very friendly people. I am also hoping , to get some kind of retirement visa . Already travel to this country four times a year. Like to live here .....
Kevin - bumpakev@yahoo.com.au   Kevin
December, 22 2013 04:06:23
I would also like to retire to Vietnam firstly I love the people and country and secondly as my wife is from Vietnam she would be able to be with her family more but with what I have read about the laws it makes it very hard to plan a long term secure retirement there. As stated James it is a lot easier to retire to Thailand but that is not where we want to be, please Vietnam wake up lets us in we would add to the economy of your country and also would be help full in the schools teaching English.
Send Us Your Comments:
Name:
Your E-mail address:
Title:

VietNamNews may edit your comments and not all emails will be published.

Highlight

Tan Son Nhat Airport on verge of overloading 1    Tan Son Nhat Airport on verge of overloading

HCM City's Tan Son Nhat Airport will be stretched beyond capacity in the next two years, making construction of the new Long Thanh airport in Dong Nai Province more urgent than ever, experts warn.

BIDV teams up with Japanese banks to facilitate investment BIDV teams up with Japanese banks to facilitate investment

The Bank for Investment and Development of Viet Nam (BIDV) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with two Japanese banks, namely Minato Bank and the Bank of Yokohama (BOY).

Capital to host biotechnology fair Capital to host biotechnology fair

A three-day fair on technology and biological equipment will take place in the capital on October 21 organised by the National Agency for Science and Information Technology.

Rhino horn demand falls after campaign Rhino horn demand falls after campaign

Vietnamese demand for rhinoceros horns decreased by 38 per cent within a year after a campaign was launched against the practice.

My Lai survivor writes book My Lai survivor writes book

Pham Thanh Cong, 57, was one of only a dozen survivors of 1968's infamous My Lai massacre. More than four decades later, he has written a book about the mass murder, in which American soldiers killed 504 unarmed civilians.