December, 13 2013 11:32:09

Viet Nam is listed as one of the Asian countries which foreign retirees wanted to relocate to so they might enjoy their retirement, according the article "Foreign retirees have flocked to Asian countries", published by China Daily last week.

The article reported, "They are foreign retirees – mainly Australians, Europeans and North Americans fleeing cold winters and the prospect of spending their twilight years in a nursing home."

Pleasant climate, reasonable cost of living, and being in Southeast Asia, which is exotic for active retirees who enjoy exploring, were named as reasons for their moving here.

Are you a retiree? Please send us your thoughts about this trend and your plan for your retirement? Do you plan to come to Viet Nam for a short-term or long-term stay to enjoy your retirement? What are policies that the Vietnamese Government should issue to encourage more foreign retirees to relocate to Viet Nam for their retirement?

Please reply by email to: , or by fax to (84-4) 3 933 2311. Letters can be sent to The Editor, Viet Nam News, 79 Ly Thuong Kiet Street, Ha Noi. Replies to next week's questions must be received by Thursday morning, December 19, 2013. — VNS

kevin norris - kevcoinc@netcarrier.com   kevin norris
January, 03 2015 10:06:57
I would like to see more relaxed Visa requirements to allow longer stays without three month renewals for prospective retirees, this may tie in with a financial requirement on visiting pensioners to prove that they will not become a financial burden to the VN people if their health deteriorates in later years. I anticipate to early retire at age 55 ( 49yo now ) and raise my now one year old in VN with my VN / American wife and her VN family.
Jon-Alan Manning - rioderica@bellsouth.net   Jon-Alan Manning
January, 02 2014 13:37:28
For the last few years I have split my time between VN and the US. The big negative for me about VN is the air pollution from the motorbike exhaust. I figure that is going to kill me quicker than anything. The cost of living is so low compared to the US, that I actually make money while living here. I love the people, the food and VN is centrally located for easy travel to many other Asian countries.
Jose Goffinet - jose.goffinet@gmail.com   Jose Goffinet
January, 01 2014 15:27:01
Having worked a few years in Vietnam I decided to stay as retired. Repeating James Dannock here above, I must say that the biggest inconvenience is to go abroad each 3 months to renew the obligation of the visa. At the moment I share my time with Belgium but it cost to travel and I don't expend this money in Vietnam and never fly Vietnam Airlines! To encourage retirees to spent time in Vietnam and to expend their money in the country the authorities must introduce the possibility to stay longer periods for retirees.
Jeff TEH - Jefftshk@yahoo.com   Jeff TEH
January, 01 2014 00:42:35
Dear editor I have been working and staying in Bangkok, Thailand for some years. Western people who stayed or so called 'retirees stay' are facing problems in Thailand. And Thai government and immigration have to face social and medical care issues. I am not against Vietnam to open it's door to foreign retirees. But do not want to see 'another Bangkok or PATTAYA' in Vietnam. Rule of law and immigration rules need to improved and friendly to genuine candidates who can really sustain themselves and also their local family in Vietnam.
camenzind - franz@santanol.com   camenzind
December, 22 2013 06:33:58
Vietnam is a beautiful country with very friendly people. I am also hoping , to get some kind of retirement visa . Already travel to this country four times a year. Like to live here .....
Send Us Your Comments:
Your E-mail address:

VietNamNews may edit your comments and not all emails will be published.

Mountains of coal sludge still threat to lives in Quang Ninh Mountains of coal sludge still threat to lives in Quang Ninh

Wiping sweat from his forehead, 36-year-old Trinh Duc Sang took big strides along a road covered with muddy coal sludge and dirt to the place that was his home until just three weeks ago. He climbed a rickety ladder that buckled under his weight to reach his neigh-bour's house overlooking a creek. From there, he crossed into his old home.

Doctors treat patients for free at clinic in Ha Noi Doctors treat patients for free at clinic in Ha Noi

For more than 20 years, Dang Thi Nhan, 67, has been waking up about 30 minutes earlier each day to bake cakes or prepare tea for two retired doctors in a clinic near her house in Ha Noi's Giap Bat Ward.

Wounds begin to heal between US, Viet Nam 1    Wounds begin to heal between US, Viet Nam

Pham Ba Lu swore thousands of times that he "would not live under the same sky as the United States".

Water resources, eroding land need saving Water resources, eroding land need saving

Water management has become a major topic of discussion in recent years among Viet Nam's lawmakers, experts and society. The country has been struggling to deal with water-related issues such as a rising sea level, land subsidence and saline intrusion in the Mekong Delta. Lawmakers and experts shared their views on water management with Viet Nam News reporters Thu Van and Hoang Anh.