Updated
December, 13 2013 11:32:09

Viet Nam is listed as one of the Asian countries which foreign retirees wanted to relocate to so they might enjoy their retirement, according the article "Foreign retirees have flocked to Asian countries", published by China Daily last week.

The article reported, "They are foreign retirees – mainly Australians, Europeans and North Americans fleeing cold winters and the prospect of spending their twilight years in a nursing home."

Pleasant climate, reasonable cost of living, and being in Southeast Asia, which is exotic for active retirees who enjoy exploring, were named as reasons for their moving here.

Are you a retiree? Please send us your thoughts about this trend and your plan for your retirement? Do you plan to come to Viet Nam for a short-term or long-term stay to enjoy your retirement? What are policies that the Vietnamese Government should issue to encourage more foreign retirees to relocate to Viet Nam for their retirement?

Please reply by email to: , or by fax to (84-4) 3 933 2311. Letters can be sent to The Editor, Viet Nam News, 79 Ly Thuong Kiet Street, Ha Noi. Replies to next week's questions must be received by Thursday morning, December 19, 2013. — VNS

COMMENTS
Jon-Alan Manning - rioderica@bellsouth.net   Jon-Alan Manning
January, 02 2014 13:37:28
For the last few years I have split my time between VN and the US. The big negative for me about VN is the air pollution from the motorbike exhaust. I figure that is going to kill me quicker than anything. The cost of living is so low compared to the US, that I actually make money while living here. I love the people, the food and VN is centrally located for easy travel to many other Asian countries.
Jose Goffinet - jose.goffinet@gmail.com   Jose Goffinet
January, 01 2014 15:27:01
Having worked a few years in Vietnam I decided to stay as retired. Repeating James Dannock here above, I must say that the biggest inconvenience is to go abroad each 3 months to renew the obligation of the visa. At the moment I share my time with Belgium but it cost to travel and I don't expend this money in Vietnam and never fly Vietnam Airlines! To encourage retirees to spent time in Vietnam and to expend their money in the country the authorities must introduce the possibility to stay longer periods for retirees.
Jeff TEH - Jefftshk@yahoo.com   Jeff TEH
January, 01 2014 00:42:35
Dear editor I have been working and staying in Bangkok, Thailand for some years. Western people who stayed or so called 'retirees stay' are facing problems in Thailand. And Thai government and immigration have to face social and medical care issues. I am not against Vietnam to open it's door to foreign retirees. But do not want to see 'another Bangkok or PATTAYA' in Vietnam. Rule of law and immigration rules need to improved and friendly to genuine candidates who can really sustain themselves and also their local family in Vietnam.
camenzind - franz@santanol.com   camenzind
December, 22 2013 06:33:58
Vietnam is a beautiful country with very friendly people. I am also hoping , to get some kind of retirement visa . Already travel to this country four times a year. Like to live here .....
Kevin - bumpakev@yahoo.com.au   Kevin
December, 22 2013 04:06:23
I would also like to retire to Vietnam firstly I love the people and country and secondly as my wife is from Vietnam she would be able to be with her family more but with what I have read about the laws it makes it very hard to plan a long term secure retirement there. As stated James it is a lot easier to retire to Thailand but that is not where we want to be, please Vietnam wake up lets us in we would add to the economy of your country and also would be help full in the schools teaching English.
Send Us Your Comments:
Name:
Your E-mail address:
Title:

VietNamNews may edit your comments and not all emails will be published.

Highlight

Light it up with fire on Hue's Truong Tien Bridge Light it up with fire on Hue's Truong Tien Bridge

The 150-year-old Truong Tien Bridge, which spans over the renowned Huong (Perfume) River in Hue City, was lit up by fire in an installation by French artist Carabosse on Friday evening.

Hospital provides free asthma treatment Hospital provides free asthma treatment

The Bach Mai General Hospital will provide free check-up consultations and treatment to newly asthmatic patients on April 26, to mark Global Asthma Day (May 1).

Failure to address water pollution has consequences 1    Failure to address water pollution has consequences

Viet Nam needs to have a comprehensive, unified set of rules to control water pollution in the country, because the problem has assumed very serious proportions, experts and officials said at workshop yesterday.

Tokyo police release VNA flight attendant Tokyo police release VNA flight attendant

Vietnam Airlines announced on Wednesday that the Japanese authorities had released its 25-year-old flight attendant who had been arrested on suspicion of smuggling stolen goods.

Paean to people with disabilities Paean to people with disabilities

A photo exhibition in Dong Nai Province underscores the will and perseverance of 25 disabled people who overcame their situation to lead normal lives.