Updated
December, 13 2013 11:32:09

Viet Nam is listed as one of the Asian countries which foreign retirees wanted to relocate to so they might enjoy their retirement, according the article "Foreign retirees have flocked to Asian countries", published by China Daily last week.

The article reported, "They are foreign retirees – mainly Australians, Europeans and North Americans fleeing cold winters and the prospect of spending their twilight years in a nursing home."

Pleasant climate, reasonable cost of living, and being in Southeast Asia, which is exotic for active retirees who enjoy exploring, were named as reasons for their moving here.

Are you a retiree? Please send us your thoughts about this trend and your plan for your retirement? Do you plan to come to Viet Nam for a short-term or long-term stay to enjoy your retirement? What are policies that the Vietnamese Government should issue to encourage more foreign retirees to relocate to Viet Nam for their retirement?

Please reply by email to: , or by fax to (84-4) 3 933 2311. Letters can be sent to The Editor, Viet Nam News, 79 Ly Thuong Kiet Street, Ha Noi. Replies to next week's questions must be received by Thursday morning, December 19, 2013. — VNS

COMMENTS
Jon-Alan Manning - rioderica@bellsouth.net   Jon-Alan Manning
January, 02 2014 13:37:28
For the last few years I have split my time between VN and the US. The big negative for me about VN is the air pollution from the motorbike exhaust. I figure that is going to kill me quicker than anything. The cost of living is so low compared to the US, that I actually make money while living here. I love the people, the food and VN is centrally located for easy travel to many other Asian countries.
Jose Goffinet - jose.goffinet@gmail.com   Jose Goffinet
January, 01 2014 15:27:01
Having worked a few years in Vietnam I decided to stay as retired. Repeating James Dannock here above, I must say that the biggest inconvenience is to go abroad each 3 months to renew the obligation of the visa. At the moment I share my time with Belgium but it cost to travel and I don't expend this money in Vietnam and never fly Vietnam Airlines! To encourage retirees to spent time in Vietnam and to expend their money in the country the authorities must introduce the possibility to stay longer periods for retirees.
Jeff TEH - Jefftshk@yahoo.com   Jeff TEH
January, 01 2014 00:42:35
Dear editor I have been working and staying in Bangkok, Thailand for some years. Western people who stayed or so called 'retirees stay' are facing problems in Thailand. And Thai government and immigration have to face social and medical care issues. I am not against Vietnam to open it's door to foreign retirees. But do not want to see 'another Bangkok or PATTAYA' in Vietnam. Rule of law and immigration rules need to improved and friendly to genuine candidates who can really sustain themselves and also their local family in Vietnam.
camenzind - franz@santanol.com   camenzind
December, 22 2013 06:33:58
Vietnam is a beautiful country with very friendly people. I am also hoping , to get some kind of retirement visa . Already travel to this country four times a year. Like to live here .....
Kevin - bumpakev@yahoo.com.au   Kevin
December, 22 2013 04:06:23
I would also like to retire to Vietnam firstly I love the people and country and secondly as my wife is from Vietnam she would be able to be with her family more but with what I have read about the laws it makes it very hard to plan a long term secure retirement there. As stated James it is a lot easier to retire to Thailand but that is not where we want to be, please Vietnam wake up lets us in we would add to the economy of your country and also would be help full in the schools teaching English.
Send Us Your Comments:
Name:
Your E-mail address:
Title:

VietNamNews may edit your comments and not all emails will be published.

Highlight

PM meets acclaimed local mathematician PM meets acclaimed local mathematician

Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung yesterday met Professor Ngo Bao Chau, the first Vietnamese to win the Fields Medal, the highest professional honour a mathematician can attain, and the Education Dialogue Group.

Scholars discuss East Sea dispute at int'l conference Scholars discuss East Sea dispute at int'l conference

The East Sea dispute will continue in the near future and urgent solutions should be found to manage the conflict and resolve it without force or the threat to use force and protect the rights of fishermen in traditional fishing grounds, an international conference that opened in HCM City yesterday agreed.

Police look into scam claims at pagoda Police look into scam claims at pagoda

Police are investigating rumors that a pagoda in Long Bien District is selling children for adoption.

A Vietnamese and a Chinese arrested for ivory smuggling A Vietnamese and a Chinese arrested for ivory smuggling

Customs officials have arrested a Chinese woman and a Vietnamese man at Suvarnabhumi Airport after they allegedly tried to smuggle out elephant tusks and ivory products worth about BAT9 million.

Places for a vacation: Son Doong Cave Places for a vacation: Son Doong Cave

Son Doong Cave in Viet Nam's Quang Binh Province has been suggested by the American news website huffingtonpost.com as one of the places to visit in 20 years.