|The twin blasts near Ankara's main train station on Saturday have ratcheted up tensions ahead of Turkey's November 1 snap elections. — AFP/VNA Photo
ANKARA (AFP) — Turkey on Sunday mourned the killing of at least 95 people in twin suspected suicide bombings on a peace rally in Ankara, the country's deadliest ever such attack that raised fears for its stability.
Saturday's bombings intensified tensions in Turkey ahead of snap elections on November 1 and as the government wages a relentless offensive against Kurdish militants.
"A bomb into our hearts," read the headline in Hurriyet daily. "The deeply outraged public is waiting to find out who is behind the incident," it added.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the "heinous" attack in a statement and cancelled a visit to Turkmenistan. But he has yet to speak in public after the bombings.
A demonstration was expected later in Ankara to protest the violence after a rally in Istanbul late Saturday evening mobilised an estimated 10,000 people.
The premier's office said that 95 people were killed when the bombs exploded just after 10:00 am (0700 GMT) as leftist and pro-Kurdish activists gathered for a peace rally outside Ankara's train station.
It said that 246 people were wounded, with 48 still in intensive care. An AFP correspondent said that the scene of the blast was littered with ball bearings, indicating the explosions were intended to cause the maximum damage.
Turkey's pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), one of the groups that called the peace rally, put the death toll at 128 in a tweet from their official account, but this figure was not confirmed by the government.
HDP leader Selahattin Demirtas blamed a "mafia state" and a "state mentality which acts like a serial killer" for the attack.
But the government rubbished the notion it was responsible and Interior Minister Selami Altinok insisted he would not resign.
The death toll surpassed that of the May 2013 twin bombings in Reyhanli on the Syrian border that killed over 50 people, making the attack the deadliest in the history of the Turkish Republic.
With international concern growing over instability in the key NATO member, US President Barack Obama offered his condolences to Erdogan and solidarity "in the fight against terrorism", the White House said.
EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini urged Turkey to "stand united against terrorists".
The attacks drove a knife through the heart of the normally placid Ankara, which became capital following the founding of the modern Turkish Republic by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.
"This could well be Turkey's 9/11," said Soner Cagaptay, director of the Turkish Research Programme at The Washington Institute, referring to the September 11, 2001 terror attacks by Al-Qaeda in the United States.
"It took place in the heart of the Turkish capital, across from the city's central train station, a symbolic landmark of Ataturk's Ankara, as well as killing so many people," he told AFP.
Davutoglu said no group had claimed responsibility for the bombings and so far there have been no arrests by the authorities.
But the premier said groups including Islamic State (IS) jihadists, the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) and the far-left Revolutionary People's Liberation Party–Front (DHKP-C) were capable of carrying out such an attack.
Davutoglu said there were "strong signs" the attack was carried out by two suicide bombers.
Poll campaigning suspended
|Thousands of protesters take part in a march against the deadly attack earlier in Ankara on October 10, 2015 at the Istiklal avenue in Istanbul. — AFP/VNA Photo
Amateur footage filmed moments before the blasts showed smiling activists holding hands and dancing before suddenly falling to the ground as a huge explosion went off behind them.
The attack came just under three months after a suicide bombing blamed on IS against peace activists in the border town of Suruc on the Syrian border killed 33 people.
That bombing caused one of the most serious flare-ups in Turkey in recent times as the PKK accused the government of collaborating with IS and resumed attacks on the security forces after an over two-year truce.
The military hit back against the Kurdish militants, launching a "war on terror" and bombing targets in southeast Turkey and northern Iraq.
Turkey had on June 7 voted in legislative elections with the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) losing its overall majority for the first time since it came to power in 2002.
However efforts to form a coalition were unsuccessful and Erdogan called new polls for November 1. All parties have now suspended campaigning in the wake of the attack.
With striking timing, the PKK Saturday announced it would suspend all attacks -- except in self defence -- ahead of the polls. — AFP