Friday, October 21 2016


Fresh blast rocks southern Chinese town: state media

Update: October, 01/2015 - 14:08

BEIJINGA fresh explosion rocked a southern Chinese town Thursday, one day after 17 parcel bombs killed at least seven and wounded scores in the same district, state media reported.

The latest blast occurred in the early morning in a residential building in Liucheng, a rural county of the Guangxi region, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

The six-storey building, near a local highway administrative bureau in Liucheng, the county seat, caused "some damage" according to local media reports, and Xinhua reported "bricks scattered around" the explosion site.

There were no injuries immediately reported, according to China National Radio's blog site CRI.

The radio station quoted a local resident who said he was shaken awake by the blast and "thought there was an earthquake".

The latest unrest comes one day after 17 parcel bombs exploded at multiple locations in Liucheng county, including government offices, on Wednesday.

Police said on Wednesday they were treating the blasts as a "criminal case" but ruled out a "terrorist act".

A 33-year-old local suspect had been arrested, authorities said, providing no immediate explanation regarding a possible motive.

The explosions, which also hit a prison, a train station, a hospital and a shopping centre, were apparently placed in express delivery packages, Xinhua said.

Photos showed portions of multi-storey buildings gutted and collapsed, and streets littered with glass, bricks and other debris.

Wednesday's explosions came on the eve of China's national day, the start of a week-long holiday during which many government offices and businesses close. -- AFP


Send Us Your Comments:

See also: