Tuesday, August 22 2017

VietNamNews

US Secret Service leaders told to leave in shake-up

Update: January, 15/2015 - 10:03

WASHINGTON —The US Secret Service is undergoing a sweeping reorganisation, its director said on Wednesday, after a number of scandals tarnished the image of the force charged with protecting the American president.

Four of the organisation's leaders -- those in charge of protection operations, investigations, technology and public relations -- will leave their posts in the shake-up, according to the Washington Post.

"Change is necessary to gain a fresh perspective on how we conduct business," acting Secret Service director Joseph Clancy said.

"I am certain any of our senior executives will be productive and valued assets either in other positions at the Secret Service or the department,"

Clancy said, referring to the Department of Homeland Security, which the Secret Service is attached to.

A series of incidents have embarrassed an agency composed of 6,500 people charged with the permanent protection for the US president and about 30 other senior figures.

Already tarnished by scandals involving prostitution and alcohol, the service suffered another setback last year when a man with a knife was able to climb a fence around the White House, run though the grounds and make it into a reception room before being tackled.

Speaking to a Congressional committee in mid-November, Clancy acknowledged that the Secret Service had to do better following the intrusion and could not be excused.

Clancy announced a review to the organization to determine the root causes of the slip-up and make the necessary changes.— AFP

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: