Updated  
March, 13 2014 10:00:00

China satellite finds 'suspected crash site' in Malaysia jet hunt

BEIJING — China said its satellites have detected three large floating objects in a suspected crash site near where a missing Malaysian jet lost contact, the latest twist in a hunt which entered its sixth day on Thursday.

China's state science and technology administration said late on Wednesday that a Chinese satellite had seen the objects in a "suspected crash sea area" in the East Sea on March 9, and that the images were being analysed.

The search for Malaysia Airlines flight 370 now encompasses nearlyover 90,000 square kilometres– roughly the size of Portugal – and involves the navies and air forces of multiple nations.

The hunt originally focused on an area off Viet Nam's East Sea coast, where the Boeing 777 last made contact on Saturday on a journey from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

But Malaysian authorities later expanded it to the Andaman Sea, north of Indonesia, hundreds of miles away.

The suspected objects detected by the Chinese satellite were found at 105.63 degrees longitude East and 6.7 degrees latitude North, the administration said on its website.

It added that they were spread across an area with a radius of 20km, in sizes that appeared to be 13 x 18m, 14 x 19m and 24 x 22m. Previous sighting of possible debris have proved not to be from the jet.

It was not clear whether or when the images had been shared with Malaysian officials coordinating the ever-shifting search effort. Officials could not immediately be reached for comment on Thursday morning.

No blast on US satellites

US authorities said on Wednesday that their spy satellites had detected no sign of a mid-air explosion when a Malaysian airliner lost contact with air traffic controllers.

On Wednesday Malaysia denied that the hunt for the aircraft was mired in confusion after a series of false alarms, rumours and contradictory statements.

Malaysian air force chief General Rodzali Daud attempted to explain why the search zone had been expanded, telling a press conference that military radar detected an unidentified object early on Saturday north of the Malacca Strait off Malaysia's west coast.

He said that the reading, taken less than an hour after the plane lost contact over the East Sea, was still being investigated and they were not able to confirm it was MH370.

The confusion has fuelled perceptions that Malaysian authorities are unable to handle a crisis on this scale, and infuriated relatives.

Analysts said there were burning questions over what information – if any – Malaysia has gleaned from both military and civilian radar, and the plane's transponders, and over discounted reports it was later detected near Indonesia.

"There are so many information sources that do not appear to have been used effectively in this case. As a result, the families of the missing passengers and crew are being kept in the dark," said David Learmount, operations and safety editor at industry magazine Flightglobal.

One new detail did emerge: the words of MH370's final radio transmission. Malaysia's ambassador to China, Iskandar Sarudin, said one of the pilots said "alright, good night" as the flight switched from Malaysian to Vietnamese airspace, according to Singapore's Straits Times newspaper. Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, Malaysia's civil aviation chief, later confirmed to AFP that those were the last words from the cockpit.

'Cracking and corrosion'

Months before the Malaysia Airlines jet vanished, US regulators had warned of a "cracking and corrosion" problem on Boeing 777s that could lead to a mid-air breakup and drastic drop in cabin pressure.

"We are issuing this AD (Airworthiness Directive) to detect and correct cracking and corrosion in the fuselage skin, which could lead to rapid decompression and loss of structural integrity of the airplane," the Federal Aviation Administration said.

It had circulated a draft of the warning in September, issuing a final directive on March 5, three days before MH370 disappeared.

In Malaysia, frustrations were boiling over with the country's active social media and some press outlets turning from sympathy for the families of relatives to anger over the fruitless search.

"The mood among Malaysians now is moving from patience... to embarrassment and anger over discrepancies about passengers, offloaded baggage and concealed information about its last known position," Malaysian Insider, a leading news portal, said in a commentary.

Twitter users took aim at the web of contradictory information that has fuelled conspiracy theories.

"If the Malaysian military did not see MH370 turn toward the Malacca Strait, then why the search? Who decided to look there and why?" one comment said. The anger was compounded by a report aired on Australian television of a past cockpit security breach involving the co-pilot of the missing jet.

Malaysia Airlines said it was "shocked" over allegations that First Officer Fariq Abdul Hamid, 27, along with a fellow pilot, violated airline rules in 2011 by allowing two young South African women into their cockpit during a flight. — AFP

Send Us Your Comments:
Name:
Your E-mail address:
Title:
 

VietNamNews may edit your comments and not all emails will be published.

Highlight

Singaporeans unite to help scammed Vietnamese tourist Singaporeans unite to help scammed Vietnamese tourist

The assistance that Singaporeans gave a Vietnamese tourist who was scammed when he bought an iPhone 6 in Singapore has earned much attention and applause from Vietnamese newspapers and netizens.

Old apartments remain in state of disrepair Old apartments remain in state of disrepair

There are more than 1,500 old apartment buildings at risk of collapse across Viet Nam, but in the last decade, only five per cent were rebuilt.

Province backs cable car to cave 2    Province backs cable car to cave

Authorities in central Quang Binh Province have given the go ahead for a highly controversial cable car system connecting various sites in the Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park to the world's biggest cave, Son Doong.

Edward Scissorhands among free outdoor films Edward Scissorhands among free outdoor films

Saigon Outcast will hold two free Thursday outdoor film screenings this month.

Tax not the solution to online gaming issue 1    Tax not the solution to online gaming issue

A 10 per cent tax on the online gaming industry recently proposed by the Ministry of Finance aims to address the connection between the increase in gaming addiction and game-related crimes among youngsters by charging them more to fuel their addiction.