Sunday, October 22 2017

VietNamNews

Last week's flood death toll hits 15

Update: September, 11/2012 - 10:00

HA NOI (VNS)— Heavy rain and floods have killed 15 people and injured 15 others in central provinces since early last week, according to yesterday's report by the Steering Committee for Flood Prevention and Control.

Among the deaths, eight were in Thanh Hoa Province, five in Nghe An Province and two in Ha Tinh Province.

The floods have also submerged nearly 8,700 houses and over 35,000 hectares of crops, leaving over 180 houses swept away or collapsed.

The committee said the water level of rivers in Thanh Hoa and the lower section of La River, which runs past Ha Tinh Province, had been falling.

A group from the Committee, led by Hoang Van Thang, deputy minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, conducted inspections on Sunday to supervise the flood prevention and control process in Thanh Hoa.

The provinces of Nghe An and Thanh Hoa, two of the most badly affected areas, are focusing on dealing with disaster consequences and supporting affected families.

The Ha Noi Central Committee of the Fatherland Front has earmarked VND8 billion (more than US$380,000) to support affected families in the three provinces.

Meanwhile, at least 20 people were killed or went missing after landslides in the northern mountainous province of Yen Bai as they were heading to a tin mine in La Pan Tan Commune last Friday.

Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung on Sunday asked the provincial People's Committee to co-operate with relevant State agencies to investigate the causes of the accident and report the results to the Government in a timely fashion so that those responsible, if any, would be punished.

The Prime Minister also sent his condolences to the victims' families.

The provincial People's Committee offered families of the dead VND4.5 million ($214) and 100 kilogrammes of rice each to support them while Thinh Dat Company Ltd, employer of the miners, offered their families VND10 million ($476) each.

According to the local authorities, nearly VND590 million (US$28,000) has been collected from organisations and individuals to support the families affected.

Colonel Nong Hong Lai, deputy head of the provincial Steering Committee for Flood Prevention and Control - Search and Rescue, said yesterday that two victims of the accident, who were siblings, still remained missing. Lai said rough terrain and rains slowed the search and rescue process, even though over 100 searchers were mobilised. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: