|Phu Văn Lâu (Pavilion of Edicts) after its restoration. The project, which cost VNĐ12 billion (US$558,139) and started on May 13, 2015, renovated the entire ancient site, including its wooden frame, roof and some carved sections. — Photo tuoitre.vn|Viet Nam News
THỪA THIÊN HUẾ — The Huế Monuments Conservation Centre has finished the restoration of Phu Văn Lâu, or Pavilion of Edicts, located within the Huế Imperial Citadel, which has been a UNESCO Word Cultural Heritage site since 1993.
The construction, valued at almost VNĐ12 billion (US$558,139) and begun on May 13, 2015, renovated the entire ancient site, including its wooden frame, roof and some carved sections.
Phu Văn Lâu, a two-storey wooden building built in 1818 during the reign of King Gia Long, was originally a site used to store royal edicts and post examination results. It was also where feasts and entertainment for royal families took place during festivals.
Located on the main axis of the Imperial Citadel of Huế facing the Hương River, the building has become a favourite destination for visitors when exploring the ancient capital, and also the location for many community activities during national festivals or celebrations of significant historical events.
On May 15 last year, part of the building’s roof fell in and had been temporarily propped up by scaffolding, posing a threat to visitors. — VNS