|Six holes have been dug at the site, and archaeologists have found various artifacts and decorative patterns dating nearly 800 years. — Photo dantri
THAI BINH (VNS) — Based on recent discoveries unearthed at an excavation at the Tran Temple and Ngoi Mausoleum in Hong Minh Commune in the northern province of Thai Binh, archaeologists have come to the conclusion the site was a part of a former royal palace dating back to 13-14th centuries.
Lo Giang Palace was used under the reigns of Tran Nhan Tong (1278-1293) and Tran Anh Tong (1293-1314), and was also known as Kien Xuong Palace under the reign of Tran Hien Tong (1329-1341).
Six holes have been dug at the site, and archaeologists have found various artifacts and decorative patterns dating nearly 800 years.
According to Dai Viet Su Ky Toan Thu (The Complete Annals of Dai Viet) by historian Ngo Si Lien, the palace was home to Queen Kham Tu Bao Thanh, the wife of King Tran Nhan Tong and mother of King Tran Anh Tong, who died there on September 13, 1293.
The palace was also used by King Tran Hien Tong.
Although it is believed to have been an important royal residence, the palace's correct location, appearance and size has remained a mystery until now.
According to researcher Bui Minh Tri, director of the Centre for Researching Royal Citadels, the findings are an important breakthrough to define the correct location of the palace. — VNS