THANH HOA (VNS)— Archaeologists have recently uncovered a second quarry used to supply stone slabs to build the Ho Citadel in the central province of Thanh Hoa.
The 23sq.km site is located in the Xuan Dai Mountain in Vinh Loc District, about 5km south of the citadel.
Sixteen slabs matching the size and type of stone used in the Ho Citadel were discovered there.
The first quarry was found in Vinh Yen Commune in the same area last year.
Ho Citadel was built during the reign of King Tran Nhuan Tong (1397) by Royal Mandarin Ho Quy Ly, who acceded to the throne in 1400.
It was recognised by UNESCO as a World Cultural Heritage site in June last year.-VNS