QUANG NAM — The central province of Quang Nam hosted a record 2.3 million tourists in the first eight months of this year, earning VND3 trillion (US$143 million).
|First step: Tourists visit My Son sanctuary in Quang Nam Province. The province saw 2.3 million tourists visit in the first eight months of this year. — VNA/VNS Photo Vu Cong Dien
The figure was announced on Thursday at a conference in Hoi An Town to sum up 15 years of Quang Nam tourism.
Last year, the province, home to world heritage sites Hoi An, My Son sanctuary, and Cham Island biosphere reserve, hosted 2.5 million tourists.
In 1997 the province earned only VND47 billion ($2.2 million).
"We have made efforts in building charming destinations while travel agencies have made great contributions to the province having gained record earnings from tourism," said Vice Chairman of Quang Nam People's Committee Tran Minh Ca, adding that Hoi An had launched free wireless internet for tourists in the Old Quarter.
"The province plans to be the centre of the tourism industry among the central provinces by 2020. We have made efforts to create the most favourable conditions for investors in tourism," he said, adding that the province had already attracted 110 tourism projects.
Investors had built 80 international standard hotels and resorts with a total 5,000 rooms while the provincial tourism industry had created 15,000 jobs, he said.
"We are proud that the province still preserves cultural values as well as a healthy environment and friendly hospitality," said Vice Chairman of Hoi An People's Committee Truong Van Bay.
"Hoi An has boosted sustainable development in tourism and promoted environmental protection," Bay said. "We also are looking at developing eco-tour sites in the town."
Quang Nam Provincial People's Committee has co-operated with international organisations in building Hoi An and My Son Sanctuary as safe and green destinations. — VNS