Wednesday, November 22 2017

VietNamNews

Rising energy consumption no threat to supply

Update: May, 30/2014 - 08:16
Workers connect wires to a transformer station in Dien Bien Province. The Ministry of Industry and Trade has said there will not be a power shortage for the rest of the year. — VNA/VNS Photo Ngoc Ha

HCM CITY (VNS)— Although electricity usage has increased more than 11 per cent in the southern region this year, there will not be a power shortage for the rest of the year, the Minister of Industry and Trade, Vu Huy Hoang, has said.

Hoang was quoted as saying in Sai Gon Giai Phong (Liberated Sai Gon) newspaper on Tuesday that the power industry was being well-managed and the country's reserve power capacity was 20 per cent of total demand.

The minister said he was confident that there would be no power shortage this year or the next few years. The demand for power in the Southern region will increase between March and June.

However, some areas in the southern region will face a power shortage in 2017 and 2018 since most of the country's power plants are located in northern and central regions.

The government has also told agencies to devise solutions to deal with any imbalance of power supply, Hoang said.

With an increase in capacity of domestically generated power, electricity purchases from China have gradually fallen.

In recent years, Viet Nam has purchased between four and five billion kWh from China.

Last year, the amount of purchased electricity from the country fell to two billion kWh, the minister told the newspaper.

According to the national strategy of energy security until 2030, Viet Nam's renewable energy will contribute to more than 10 per cent of the country's energy use. — VNS


Send Us Your Comments:

See also: