The Ministry of Construction has asked nine provinces and cities to complete zoning plans for solid waste management and submit them by June.
The provinces and cities are Da Nang, HCM City, Bac Ninh, Gia Lai, Hai Duong, Lai Chau, Nam Dinh, Vinh Long and Yen Bai. The ministry said 54 other localities nationwide had approved plans for solid waste management.
Nhan Dan (The People)
Automobile imports up in first three months
Viet Nam spent US$537 million to import 23,000 Completely Built-Up cars in the first quarter of the year, an increase of 154.7 per cent in value and 116.4 per cent in quantity over the same period last year, according to the General Statistics Office.
In March, the country imported 8,000 cars worth $217 million. Last year, 72,000 cars were imported for a total value of $1.57 billion.
Dau Tu (Viet Nam Investment Review)
HCM City to stop street work during holidays
The HCM City Department of Transport has asked contractors to temporarily stop digging work on infrastructure projects from April 27 to May 1. They are also required to restore the surface of streets and tidy up areas in front of and around their works before April 27.
The move aims to ensure traffic safety and environmental hygiene in the city during the Liberation Day and May Day holiday.
Sai Gon Giai Phong (Liberated Sai Gon)
More dengue fever cases in the south
The number of dengue fever cases as well as fatalities has been increasing in the south, Nguyen Thanh Long, Deputy Minister of Health, told a conference in HCM City on Tuesday.
In the first quarter, 8,320 people nationwide contracted the disease, the ministry said, adding that in the south the number of dengue fever patients went up by 35.2 per cent, with six fatalities. Long urged local health authorities to take measures to contain the disease.
Nguoi Lao Dong (Labourer)
Mobile phone subscribers blocked for spamming
Mobile phone service providers in HCM City, in the first quarter of the year, blocked 250,000 pre-paid mobile phone subscribers that sent spam messages regularly, Le Quoc Cuong, deputy director of the city Department of Information and Communications, has said.
Viettel blocked 120,000 subscribers and Vinaphone 130,851 subscribers. However, he said the number of spam and advertising messages was still too high. Mobile phone service providers will have to work together to manage the flow of spam messages, he said.
Thanh Nien (Young People)