Shaoxing drunken chicken in clay pot
with Executive Chef Vincent Tan of Hotel Equatorial HCM City
Shaoxing wine is one of the most famous varieties of Chinese yellow wine made with fermented rice. It originates in the Shaoxing region of Zhejiang Province. It is one dish that will make feel diners they are sitting in a Shanghai restaurant, says Chef Vincent.
Ingredients: serves 2
- 1/2 free range/ kampung chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 50g shredded ginger
- 10g shredded black cat's ear mushroom
- 45ml shaoxing wine to add at the end
- 30g salt
- 27g sugar
- 15ml sesame oil
- 100ml warm water
- 45ml shaoxing wine
- 7.5ml oyster sauce
- Heat 15ml sesame oil in a clay pot and sautee shredded ginger until fragrant.
- Add chicken, shredded black mushrooms in clay pot and stir fry until the aroma rises.
- Add warm water, seasoning and cover the lid.
- Simmer until the gravy has thickened.
- Add extra 45ml shaoxing wine and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately.
After heating up a clay pot, don't add cold water to it and run the risk of it cracking. The dish can be cooked in a normal wok instead of using a clay pot, says Chef Vincent.
You can sample the dish cooked by Chef Vincent and his team at Hotel Equatorial HCM City, 242 Tran Binh Trong St, District 5, HCM City. Tel: (08) 3839 7777.