Bread and Butter Pudding
with pastry chef Giap Thi Hue of Donkey Bakery
Bread and Butter Pudding is a delicious way to use up your old bread. The ingredients are the sort of thing you always have in your cupboard so it's quick and easy to throw together. Let's make your Valentine's Day sweeter and more poetic with this dish, introduced by chef Hue.
Ingredient: serves 7
- 500ml milk
- 160g sultanas
- 4 eggs
- 5 slices day old bread
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 100g sugar
butter as needed
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
- Butter slices of bread on both sides and cut in half.
- Layer the bread in baking dish adding a handful of sultanas and the sugar mix as you go, covering each slice.
- Mix the milk and eggs together and whisk.
- Pour over the bread and leave to absorb for 10 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes until the pudding is set and brown.
- Serve with ice cream or cream
Chef's tip: The drier the bread, the more butter you should use. Try spreading jam on the bread or using other dried fruits for some variety. Yum!
You can sample the dish at Donkey Bakery*, 8 Nguyen Hoang Ton St, Tay Ho Dist, Ha Noi. Tel: 0904 907 455