with Excutive Chef Roland Kaiser of Hilton Ha Noi Opera
Crab is a nutritious dish which is full of calcium and protein. It will be more delicious when you try it with a bit of chilli. This autumn, Executive Chef at Hilton Ha Noi Opera titillates your taste buds with his fantastic recipe of chilli crab.
Ingredients: serve 2
- 2 crabs (400gr)
- 30gram plain flour
- 12ml peanut oil
- 30gr onion, chopped finely
- 30gr ginger, grated
- 10gr garlic, chopped
- 10gr red chilies, chopped
- 20ml ketchup sauce
- 50ml water
- 10ml soy sauce
- 20ml sweet chilli sauce
- 3ml rice vinegar
- 10gr brown sugar
- coriander, spring onion & lemon wedges as a garnish
- Thoroughly clean the crabs, and cut them into 2 pieces.
- Rinse the crab under running water to remove all the unwanted parts. Using the side of the cleaver, hit the legs and claws of the crabs to crack them.
- Dip the crab pieces in some flour to fully coat them.
- Heat up a large wok. Pour peanut oil and cook the crabs until the shell turns red, and remove aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add more oil to the wok. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and chilli to cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring.
- Add the ketchup, water, chilli sauce, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar.
- Bring to boil and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Add back the crabs and simmer in the sauce until the meat becomes white.
- Garnish the chilli crab with coriander, spring onion & lemon wedges.
Chef's tip: Best serve together with steamed white rice and sauted vegetables.
You can sample the dish at Ba Mien Restaurant, Hilton Ha Noi Opera, 1 Le Thanh Tong, Hoan Kiem District. Tel: (04) 3933 0500