Fire breaks out at 800-year-old pagoda
CUU LONG DELTA – A fire broke out at a 788-year-old pagoda in the Cuu Long (Mekong) province of Soc Trang on Monday, but no one was hurt.
The two monks safeguarding the Tac Gong (Tra Sath Kong) pagoda's central chamber escaped the fire after inhaling smoke.
The fire caused little damage to the interior or to special Buddha statues in the pagoda.
Lit candles in the central chamber possibly caused the fire at the Theravada Buddhist pagoda, which is one of the oldest pagodas in the province and is known as a religious venue for southern Khmer. It is also frequently visited by both local and foreign tourists. — VNS